A Southern California utility with more than 20-million customers turned to Kissinger Group to organize and oversee the program management of a 3-year, $60-million portfolio of technology and business projects. Although various project managers were leading the individual projects, the projects were not well-connected and management wanted more visibility into project status and progress.
Kissinger Group helped bring the projects together by introducing standard templates and Project Management Office (PMO) governance to ensure that all projects were supported and achieving intended business value. Key activities included:
- Managing the alignment of disparate program work streams
- Weekly roll-up status reporting to management and key stakeholders
- Planning and executing a risk and issue management framework
- Mentoring of team members to build project management capabilities and drive long-term success
- Oversight of program budgets and the program change control review process
Kissinger Group provided a cohesive management structure for this portfolio of projects, connecting the projects and providing ongoing visibility into the portfolio’s progress. Along the way, internal project managers adopted new tools and significantly improved project management skills. When departing, our executive sponsor told us, “You upped our game!”